Love Counteth Not The Cost..


Love counteth not the cost.

Let me make those profound words a little more fathomable. 

You see, it's like this:

When Jacob fell in love with Rachel, those 7 years of hard labor to claim her for his own seemed as nothing. Even when he had to work on for another 7 whole years to earn the hand of the one he loved. 

"And Jacob served seven years for Rachel; and they seemed unto him but a few days, for the love he had to her."  Gen. 29:20

For Jacob, Love counted not the cost.

When the people of Esther's kin were doomed to death, and she, being the queen in the kingdom couldn't think of doing nothing, when she loved her God, and her dear people so. 

"..and so will I go in unto the king, which is not according to the law: and if I perish, I perish."  Esther 4:16

To Esther, Love counted not the cost.

And on down through the ages. The song of the martyrs as the flames climbed their way to still the voice of the dear, loyal christian. For them, the love of the truth, and their God they held more dear than life itself. 

Yes, for them also, Love counted not the cost.

For the one who looked with broken heart upon the ones He created, so full of sin and misery. He asked what could be done to redeem them to Himself.. and said I will Go. Bowed with the deepest grief on that darkest night in history, in that lonesome garden. Then hung upon that cruel cross, His arms outstretched to  the world that hated Him. Oh, tis' here is love indeed! Here we see Love in it's fullest.
At the foot of the cross.

"...who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross.." Hebrews 12:2 

For Jesus, Love counted not the cost.
  
Dear Heart, are you greater than these, that you might count the cost, for love to your brethren and to your God?

Oh that we might say these words with the apostle Paul...

"..I will very gladly spend and be spent for you; though the more abundantly I love you, the less I be loved."  2 Corinthians 12:15

For us now, will we for Love count the cost?

"He that loveth not knoweth not God; for God is love." 1 John 4:8 



Love
If suddenly upon the street
My gracious Saviour I should meet,
And he should say, "As I love thee,
What love hast thou to offer me?"
Then what could this poor heart of mine
Dare offer to that heart divine?

His eye would pierce my outward show,
His thought my inmost thought would know;
And if I said, "I love thee, Lord,"
He would not heed my spoken word,
Because my daily life would tell
If verily I loved him well.

If on the day or in the place 
Wherein he met me face to face
My life could show some kindness done,
Some purpose formed, some work begun,
For his dear sake, then, it were meet
Love's gift to lay at Jesus' feet.
~Charles Francis Richardson 


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts