Work! For the Night is Coming...


Rain pattered on the roof, and dripped from the eaves into the growing puddles below my window. Normally, I would quickly be lulled to sleep by these sounds. But there I lay, awake and restless. Thoughts going round and round in my mind.. like a song set to repeat.

I lay there awake, till the early morning hours. Till finally,  the constant sound of  dripping, prevailed upon my exhausted mind and tired body, and I drifted off to a light sleep.

Then God gave me a dream, that I have not, and won't soon be, forgotten.

Dreaming for me is not at all unusual. I dream pretty much every night. Sometimes they are dreams I can remember, but many times they are just sketchy in my mind, and not worth trying to remember anyways. I really am not a person that cares much about dreams. Although I can't help the fact that I dream all the time. And sometimes my dreams are just to funny to not share with my family! And so, I am known to my family to be a dreamer!

But this dream was just different. It was very vivid, and seemed to be reality. And has caused me to be in solemn thought all day.

This was my dream..

"I lay sleeping in my bed, when all of a sudden, I woke up. There was a very bright light shinning through my window. I jumped out of bed, and stood looking out the window, scared to death. You know that kind of scared that makes it hard to breathe. Stars were falling everywhere from the heavens, filling the air with bright streaks of light. And in my mind I said, 'Oh no! Jesus is coming, and I'm not ready. I've not surrendered everything to Him yet. I don't know Him. And I've not done the work He called me to do.' I was terrified to look upon his face. It seemed He would appear at any moment... and then my dream faded away."

The next morning (tuesday morning) as I was making my bed, I started humming a song, not even conscious of what song it was. Then it came with such a force, that I had to sing it! I sang bits and pieces of it. I couldn't even remember how it went. I have only sang it a few times at church. I then went into the living room to play it on the keyboard.  I said to my brother who was standing nearby, "This song is really in my head" He said "I know, you've put it in my head now too".  I asked Him to help me remember how the whole thing went, because I just couldn't remember. Then I told him of the dream, and the song, and said quietly, "I think God is trying to tell me something."

This is the song...

Work,  for the Night Is Coming 

Work, for the night is coming; Work through the morning hours;
Work while the dew is sparkling; Work 'mid springing flowers;
Work while the day grows brighter, Under the glowing sun;
Work, for the night is coming, when man's work is done.

Work for the night is coming; Work through the sunny noon;
Fill brightest hours with labor, Rest comes sure and soon;
Give every flying minute Something to keep in store;
Work, for the night is coming, When man works no more.

Work, for the night is coming; Under the sunset skies,
While their bright tints are glowing, Work for daylight flies;
Work till the last beam fadeth, Fadeth to shine no more;
Work, for the Lord is coming, When man's work is o'er.
                                                                  ~Mrs. Anna L. Coghill

I just had to share this experience with you. It has made a big impact on me. I know Jesus is trying to tell me to step into the cold waters of the "Red sea",  knowing He will part the waters for my feet, that they may tread upon dry ground. He is asking me 'What are you waiting for'? Maybe He is asking you the same things. What are we waiting for? We must move forward, and "Step into the waters".

 Jesus is coming very soon my dear Brothers and Sisters, and what will we do when we see Him coming in the clouds of glory? Will we be shaking with fear at the sight of His face? Or will we be filled with unspeakable joy, looking upon His face, saying in a confident voice, "This is my God, I have waited for Him"?



I know some things must change in my life. I so earnestly want to be ready. I so much want to fulfill His great commission. I so want to Know Him as a friend. And I so badly want each of my family and friends to be ready too. That means YOU!

What will we do?

Who will we choose?

Where will we decide to spend eternity?

Please, if you would, give this some true, solemn thought with me...

What are we waiting for?

When people all around us don't know?

Soon... It will be to late...




Comments

  1. So, so true... The night IS coming... Oh, we must work now, by His grace! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts